Sunday, September 19, 2010

This painting is called Fragmentary Blue and is currently on display at the Artist Eye Laguna Gallery. It has been the eye catcher that pulls many in to view from all sides. I was asked yesterday what I was feeling when I was working on this painting and the reason for the title. I was actually working on five paintings, at the same time, for the Wyndham Hotel in OC. There were no special moments of pain or struggle, I was not filled with great joy or excitement, just simply doing what comes natural as I layer and experiment.

Simplicity is best described by not over thinking to find depth of meaning, just enjoy the beauty.

Every sunset is beautiful, and yet if we try to figure out the meaning or how God makes them happen, we lose the enjoyment of what is ours to behold.

Fragmentary Blue was the title given by my wonderful wife Adda, a Robert Frost fan, and so it comes from the title of one of his poems, like many of my paintings.



Fragmentary Blue
Why make so much of fragmentary blue
In here and there a bird, or butterfly,
Or flower, or wearing-stone, or open eye,
When heaven presents in sheets the solid hue?

Since earth is earth, perhaps, not heaven (as yet)--
Though some savants make earth include the sky;
And blue so far above us comes so high,
It only gives our wish for blue a whet.

Robert Frost

No comments:

Post a Comment